Central jersey’s beverage-makers beckon you. You could spend weeks sampling all the wine, hard ciders, beer, and distilled spirits being made in Central Jersey! But that might be getting carried away. To make it easier for you, we’ve hand selected some of the best.
Opening in October 2021, Bellemara Distillery blends traditional distilling techniques from Scotland with distinctly American innovations and makes all products grain-to-glass from 100% malted barley. The initial range will include their flagship Single Malt Gin and Single Malt Spirit, and their American Single Malt Whisky is due late 2023. Enjoy tours, tastings, and cocktails on the outdoor patio or in the lounge overlooking the copper pot stills. Bellemara is located adjacent to Flounder Brewing at Carriage Farm, providing visitors with a range of craft beverage activities in a beautiful Central Jersey agritourism setting.
Following Hurricane Irene in 2011, Jan Chwiedosiuk helped his family’s Manville deli recover from devastating flooding as Brian Teel watched flood waters engulf his backyard in Rocky Hill. “If we can overcome this, we can persevere through anything” they said. The aftermath of the historic storm inspired them to start homebrewing as a hobby. The two long-time friends decided to make their dream a reality by opening Jersey Cyclone Brewing Company in May 2019. Located in Franklin Township, Jersey Cyclone uses a five-barrel brewhouse to produce a wide range of beers.
In 2005, Jeremy “Flounder” Lees turned a small galley kitchen into a place he could make magic happen. Flounder soon pulled in his brother Daniel Lees and cousins Billy Jordan V, to help him with his homebrew adventure, eventually opening in a leased warehouse in Hillsborough, NJ. In May 2021 they are relocating to a gorgeous, newly restored 250-year-barn at Hillsborough’s Carriage Farm, destined to become a must-see agritourism destination in Central Jersey. Flounder is known for known for having a wide range of styles represented in our beer line-up sure to please any level of beer drinker. Open six days a week.
Lone Eagle Brewing
Lone Eagle Brewing, established July, 2016 and located in beautiful, historic Flemington, NJ. With a large, comfortable open tasting room and loft that overlooks the brewing area, Lone Eagle Brewing is crafting a variety of amazing brews to satisfy a broad range of beer enthusiasts. From classical styles like Kolsch, Pilsner, Lagers and Stouts to hoppy IPA,s, New England style hazy IPA’s to Kettle Sours. Lone Eagle Brewing welcomes you to enjoy a great craft beer tasting experience with our friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Harvest Moon Brewery
Located just steps from the major train station on the line between New York and Philadelphia in downtown New Brunswick, the home of Rutgers University, the Harvest Moon Brewery/Cafe is at the gateway to Central Jersey. A New Brunswick institution since 1996, Harvest Moon features a delectable menu along with hand-crafted beer brewed on site—making it the perfect place to begin or end your visit to take in the beauty, bounty, and beer of Central Jersey.
Hopewell Valley Vineyards
Hopewell Valley Vineyards creates handcrafted wines by blending Old World traditions with New World flair. Our award-winning wines coupled with our renowned hospitality has made Hopewell Valley not only a place to purchase excellent local wines, but a destination. Enjoy live music (no cover charge) and light fare food every Thursday evening through Sunday afternoon; brick oven pizza Friday and Saturday evenings. Indoor and outdoor seating areas.
Old York Cellars
Old York Cellars is set amidst some of the oldest vineyards in the Garden State, offering a full selection of award-winning wines and an extraordinary experience inside and outside the tasting room. Framing scenic views of the Sourland Mountain range, Old York Cellars boasts 25 beautiful acres of preserved farmland and 13 acres of rolling vineyards. The winery hosts a variety of special events and exciting programs including seasonal Wine Festivals, Music Under the Stars, Comedy Nights, Specialty Tasting Experiences, and the exclusive Vintner’s Club. Old York Cellars is open daily from noon to 5pm and until 7pm on Saturdays during the Spring and the Summer.
River Horse Brewing
River Horse has been a leading NJ craft brewer for more than two decades – one of the originals. Come see the whole process – from the mill room to packaging—and taste our wide variety of balanced beers. Have a flight or a pint – or take some beer to go. The brewery is open Friday and Saturday noon to 7pm, and Sunday noon to 5 pm. Online tour reservations recommended, but not required.
Triumph Brewing Company
New Jersey’s first licensed brew pub, located in the heart of Princeton, Triumph Brewing is a full-service restaurant and brewery serving an upscale American menu for lunch and dinner, seven days a week. Triumph’s beer has a strong traditional German influence, and all is brewed in-house and rotated seasonally. Large party space for private events. Walking distance to stores and theaters.
Working Dog Winery
Working Dog Winery started as a hobby among friends in 2001 but has grown into a successful business. Located in the rolling terrain of eastern Mercer County in Central Jersey, the winery has a terroir—its combination of soil, climate, topography—capable of producing outstanding fruit. Open Friday to Sunday with frequent live music, the winery is minutes from the Turnpike and I-195.
Sourland Mountain Spirits
Sourland Mountain Spirits is New Jersey’s farm distillery, lifting spirits since 2015. The Sourland Mountains are rich with their history of farmers, bootleggers, rebels, patriots, fine craftsmen and artisans, is the perfect setting. Drawing from an aquifer at the base of the Sourland range, the distillery uses pure water sourced through the largest contiguous forest in Central New Jersey.
Producing terroir-driven wines of balance and distinction, encouraging the expression of land and climate, crafted from grapes grown over 40-acres, across five specific vineyard sites in Mercer and Hunterdon Counties. The range of soils, topography, and microclimates allow winemaker Conor Quilty the ability to craft Burgundy and Rhone styled blends, and varietal wines that are showcased in a stunning tasting room in a historic barn. The Tasting Room is open 7 days per week, noon to 5pm.
Sponsors and Places to Visit
Farms & Orchards
- Bobolink Dairy & Bakehouse (Milford)
- Cherry Grove Farm (Lawrenceville)
- Dogwood Farms (Liberty Corner)
- Gorgeous Goat Creamery (Stockton)
- Griggstown Farm market (Griggstown/Franklin)
- Halo Farm & Halo Pubs (Princeton/Hamilton)
- Hidden Spring Lavender Farm & Shoppe (Skillman)
- Hillsboro Farm Country Market (Hillsborough)
- Norz-Hill Farm (Hillsborough)
- Snyder Farm (Franklin)
- Suydam Farms (Franklin)
- Terhune Orchards (Lawrenceville)
- Von Thun’s Country Farm Market (South Brunswick)
- Abraham Staats House (South Bound Brook)
- East Jersey Old Towne Village (Piscataway)
- Griggstown Bridge Tender’s House (Princeton)
- Howell Living History Farm (Hopewell Township)
- Princeton Battlefield State Park (Princeton)
- Historical Society of Princeton (Princeton)
- Morven Museum & Garden (Princeton)
- Old Barracks Museum (Trenton)
- Prallsville Mills (Stockton)
- Rockingham Historic Site (Kingston)
- Red Mill Museum Village (Clinton)
- Wallace House & Old Dutch Parsonage (Somerville)
- Washington Crossing State Park (Titusville)
- William Trent House (Trenton)
Hiking, Biking, Kayaking
- The D&R Canal Tow Path
- D&R Greenway Land Trust (Princeton)
- Duke Farms (Hillsborough Township)
- Fairview Farm/Raritan Headwaters (Bedminster)
- Leonard J. Buck Gardens (Far Hills)
- Mercer Meadows (Lawrence Township)
- Natirar Park (Gladstone)
- Six-Mile Run Mountain Biking Trails (Somerset)
- Sourland Mountain Preserve (Hillsborough Township)
- The Watershed Institute (Pennington)
- Bellemara Distillery (Hillsborough)
- Cyclone Brewing (Somerset)
- Flounder Brewing (Somerset)
- Lone Eagle Brewing (Flemington)
- Harvest Moon Brewery (New Brunswick)
- Hopewell Valley Vineyards (Pennington)
- Old York Cellars (Ringoes)
- River Horse Brewing (Ewing)
- Sourland Spirits (Hopewell)
- Triumph Brewing Company (Princeton)
- Terhune Orchards & Winery (Lawrenceville)
- Unionville Winery (East Amwell)
- Working Dog Winery (Robbinsville)