arts & entertainment
Central Jersey is a leader in arts & entertainment!
Farmstead Arts Center
Nestled beside the Passaic River on the 40-acre Farmstead Park, they offer art classes, workshops, art exhibits, theater and concerts. Local artists utilize the rooms in the historic house for individual studio space. They offer art exhibits and shows throughout the year. Each themed exhibit is open to the public during gallery hours, which vary. Special performances are held in the English Barn during the warmer months.
Hunterdon Art Museum
Hunterdon Art Museum, a center for contemporary art, craft and design, focuses on new and innovative work. Founded in 1952 in beautiful Clinton, NJ, the Museum is housed in an 1836 mill that is on the National Historic Register. The Museum presents more than a dozen exhibitions and offers more than 300 studio courses annually. Open from 11–5, Tuesday–Sunday.
Grounds For Sculpture
Grounds For Sculpture is a spectacular, sprawling private park near Trenton filled with more than 270 contemporary sculptures, unusual landscape features, and quiet places to sit and contemplate. Adults and families will find much to enjoy here, including fabulous foods, particularly in the adjacent RATS restaurant. Admission charged.
McCarter Theater is a highly-regarded regional theater that offers a wide variety of programs, including first-run theater, live music performances of all kinds, and special shows. Located in the heart of Princeton’s art district, on the edge of the university campus, you’ll want to check the calendar when planning your trip to Central Jersey.
Princeton University Art Museum
This art museum is like a “mini-Met,” with truly important paintings, photographs, and artifacts from cultures around the world, free and open to the public. Be sure to see Charles Wilson Peale’s painting George Washington at the Battle of Princeton. Open daily Tuesday–Sunday. Reached by foot through the Princeton University campus.
State Theatre New Jersey
State Theatre New Jersey is located in New Brunswick, the gateway city to Central Jersey, walkable from the NJ Transit train line and downtown hotels. See a popular or classic concert, musical, play, or stand-up performance as part of your Central Jersey getaway. The venue showcases a wide range of entertainment.
Zimmerli Art Museum
Zimmerli Art Museum is located on the Rutgers University campus in downtown New Brunswick, a gateway city to Central Jersey. The Zimmerli is a teaching museum with diverse collections and special exhibits. The museum’s permanent collection contains over 60,000 works in a wide range of media with key strengths in Nineteenth-century French art, particularly prints and rare books; Russian art and Soviet nonconformist art from the Dodge Collection; American art, especially prints.
Sponsors and Places to Visit
Farms & Orchards
- Bobolink Dairy & Bakehouse (Milford)
- Cherry Grove Farm (Lawrenceville)
- Griggstown Farm market (Griggstown/Franklin)
- Halo Farm & Halo Pubs (Princeton/Hamilton)
- Hidden Spring Lavender Farm & Shoppe (Skillman)
- Hillsboro Farm Country Market (Hillsborough)
- Norz-Hill Farm (Hillsborough)
- Snyder Farm (Franklin)
- Suydam Farms (Franklin)
- Terhune Orchards (Lawrenceville)
- Von Thun’s Country Farm Market (South Brunswick)
- Abraham Staats House (South Bound Brook)
- East Jersey Old Towne Village (Piscataway)
- Griggstown Bridge Tender’s House (Princeton)
- Howell Living History Farm (Hopewell Township)
- Princeton Battlefield State Park (Princeton)
- Historical Society of Princeton (Princeton)
- Morven Museum & Garden (Princeton)
- Old Barracks Museum (Trenton)
- Prallsville Mills (Stockton)
- Rockingham Historic Site (Kingston)
- Red Mill Museum Village (Clinton)
- Wallace House & Old Dutch Parsonage (Somerville)
- Washington Crossing State Park (Titusville)
- William Trent House (Trenton)
Hiking, Biking, Kayaking
- The D&R Canal Tow Path
- D&R Greenway Land Trust (Princeton)
- Duke Farms (Hillsborough Township)
- Griggstown Canoe/Kayak Rentals (Princeton)
- Leonard J. Buck Gardens (Far Hills)
- Mercer Meadows (Lawrence Township)
- Natirar Park (Gladstone)
- Princeton Canoe/Kayak Rentals (Princeton)
- Six-Mile Run Mountain Biking Trails (Somerset)
- Sourland Mountain Preserve (Hillsborough Township)
- The Watershed Institute (Pennington)
- Harvest Moon Brewery (New Brunswick)
- Hopewell Valley Vineyards (Pennington)
- Ironbound Hard Cider & Farm (Asbury)
- Old York Cellars (Ringoes)
- River Horse Brewing (Ewing)
- Sourland Spirits (Hopewell)
- Triumph Brewing Company (Princeton)
- Terhune Orchards & Winery (Lawrenceville)
- Unionville Winery (East Amwell)
- Working Dog Winery (Robbinsville)